I start my list here because Harry Potter has always just been there for me. Whenever I’m down or in doubt, I know it’s there to make me feel good about life and myself again. I’m never alone with Harry Potter.
So, I reach for a book or a film and boom, I’m back to me again.
Watching TV, when it’s the right kind of TV, can really inspire and motivate me. Below are some of my favourite shows that always inspire my work, make me feel good, or get me moving and grooving again:
- Bojack Horseman
- Gilmore Girls
- One Day At A Time
- How I Met Your Mother
- Parks and Recreation
- Avatar the Last Airbender
I watch a variety of YouTubers for different reasons, but mainly it’s either for life inspiration, education, or writing advice/inspiration. Below are the YouTubers I enjoy for one of the reasons listed:
- Kalyn Nicholson (lifestyle)
- Lavendaire (lifestyle)
- Super Carlin Bros (entertainment & writing-ish)
- The Take by ScreenPrism (writing)
- MuchelleB (lifestyle)
- Ted-Ed (education)
- TedTalks (education)
- Rachael Stephen (writing)
- The Closer Look (writing)
- Karsten Runquist (writing)
- Sorelle Amore (lifestyle)
- Just Write (writing)
- GaryVee (business)
- The School of Life (education)
- Erin May Henry (lifestyle & business)
- Amy Landino (lifestyle & business)
Listening to a motivational or inspirational podcast has become a norm for me. When I walk Joey (my dog), I nearly always listen to a podcast. Once I’m done, I’m guaranteed to feel inspired. Here are my favourites:
- Kalyn Nicholson’s Coffeetalk podcast
- Lavendaire Lifestyle podcast
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert podcast
- Super Soul Conversations, Oprah’s podcast
- Permission Granted, Shaina Leis’s podcast
- The GaryVee Audio Experience podcast
- On Purpose with Jay Shetty podcast
- And of course, my own What I Know So Far podcast!
Reading in general
When in doubt, read; that’s my motto. Losing yourself in a good book is a great way to improve your mood, be productive without knowing it, and be inspired.
Some books I’ve found an abundance of inspiration from:
- Big Magic, Elizabeth Gilbert
- Harry Potter series
- Becoming, Michelle Obama
- Anything from Brene Brown
- Yes Please, Amy Poehler
- What I Know For Sure, Oprah
- John Green books (no one does friendship and lovable characters who inspire you like John Green!)
As I said, I listen to a podcast while I walk Joey, but the act of walking itself is also inspiring. The nature around me, the exercise, and the detachment from the boring environment of my house/office brings about feelings of happiness. Happiness gives room for inspiration.
Philosophy, psychology, history, and mythology are all keen interests of mine and key points of inspiration for my stories and my content. Therefore, I stick on a YouTube video or reach for a book in these areas and I find my inspiration coming back.
Yoga or meditation
The simple act of getting quiet, moving gently, and focusing on my breath helps me to relax and centre myself. In doing this, I find that my energy elevates, my mood improves, and I’m back to feeling like myself again. This then helps the inspiration and motivation to come more easily.
This is kind of a naughty one, but I often do get inspiration from Pinterest. Looking at pretty images or clicking on links with advice in them helps to get the juices flowing. Also, of course, you can use Pinterest for a specific purpose.
Need inspiration for a room layout? Pinterest!
Need outfit inspiration? Pinterest!
Need inspiration for your fantasy world? Pinterest!
I hate working out. Or rather, I hate the feeling before a workout. Afterwards or during, though, I feel immense. I always get ideas when I’m working out or directly afterwards. So, get your blood pumping in order to get your inspiration back and feel motivated to tackle other tasks.
The last thing that helps me get inspired and motivated is cleaning. Tidying up, cleaning the mess, or having a decluttering session really helps me to feel like I’m in control. It helps me to feel accomplished and orderly. This feeling then leads to excitement to get other things done, think more clearly about things I need to do, or think up new ideas.
What inspires you? Let me know in the comments!